Monday 2 August 2010

Day 29 - Czech


I have never been to any of the big multi day concerts like Glastonbury or the Isle of Wight but I am pretty sure I know what the camping experience would be like. The music and bawling went on all night. This is the only campsite I have ever seen that has its own resident police force. They drove round most of the night to try and keep a lid on things. I got a few hours beer assisted sleep and got under way headed west but to the Czech republic over some very good roads and some being reconstructed. Give it a couple of years and it will be bike heaven....and then I spotted this so I had to give it my business. I stuffed my face and had a couple of shandies and then struggled to stay awake for the afternoon in the heat.


Not much to photograph during the day, I guess I just wasn't in the mood. I followed a route east to west along the mountains that separate Czech from Poland and Germany and then stopped for another shandy. When I paid the bill, I got a shock. Not only is beer cheaper than petrol here, it is cheaper than lemonade! We have something wrong the UK and the Norwegians would have a fit if they saw this.


I thought I would drop in on someone so I considered my friend Kevin in Paris ( just about within reach ) but he was in the UK. Next, considered my old college mate Pat who was supposed to be near Stuttgart so I texted and he was just down the road in Prague. Beer on:) I popped the address in the GPS and the fought with it and the roadworks for the next hour and a half.(Note to self, update the GPS map before going on the next trip) The old GPS map and the crappy diversion signs had me going in circles for 30 minutes. Pat was in town for a couple of days with some colleagues on business and had a spare bed in his room and the hotel were obliging. Result! The waiter seemed to understand english fine but when grub arrived, only one person out of 5 got what they ordered. Still tasty though in a central european brown food way...

No comments:

Post a Comment