Tuesday 13 July 2010

Day 10 - Trondheim and Beyond

Woke up bright and early and got going by 9am which is a first. To be fair though, most days I have been waiting for the rain to stop before I pack up so I am not becoming a complete slob. Another low cloud day in store so not much to point the camera at.

I headed for Trondheim, Norway's 3rd largest city. It is an interesting sort of town with a great big stone Cathedral in the middle which I would love to show you a picture of but my stay in the city was curtailed. I discovered that I had somehow lost my waterproof leggings in the last 100 miles. What a plonker! From here on up north, life will be very miserable without waterproofs. I began a hunt for replacements and the nice people at a Yamaha dealer sold me a set for half price and then the mechanic gave some free electrical spares to help fix another small wiring problem. Top marks to the people at 'Ride' in Trondheim.

After such a cool grey day, I despaired of ever being able to take a picture worth looking at and then about 9pm I rounded a corner and saw the sun poke through the clouds. It is a bit weird to be riding due north and looking directly at the Sun. Everyone tells me that good weather is coming for the rest of the week so that will be a bonus.

With the sun not really setting, I feel inclined to just keep going. Your natural rhythm gets buggered up a bit and you have to decide when it is 'night time' and take a rest. I got as far as I can go tonight without swimming. The ferries have closed for the night so time to pitch the tent. Found a campsite & ordered my first 'proper' meal in 10 days, a beer and a burger for £17. It tasted fabulous as only food can to a starving man. GPS says we are at 65.5 degrees north so will cross the Arctic circle sometime tomorrow morning......as far north as I have ever been in my life. I was expecting it to be bit less green. Don't know why.

Route 400 miles/13:41hrs


View BT Day 10 in a larger map

4 comments:

  1. Not noticing you've lost ur trousers for 100 miles, converting your own helmet into a swimming pool (cool joke to play on yourself) and viewing a burger and beer as a proper meal - some things dont change Paul.

    Keep shootin - should be interesting pics in next few days. Martin

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe :-) love the sun through the clouds pic x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent photos Paul. keep 'em coming. Enjoying the journal too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Slow down, you'll be running out of land soon. R.

    ReplyDelete