Thursday 22 July 2010

Day 18 - Fin Finland


I decided I was done with Finland this morning. One too many tree I guess. I set a course for Tallinn and gave the back roads one last try and would you know, Finland came up trumps. I have a fine time but there was bugger all to photograph so I just rambled on. Occasionally the road surface would just disappear and I was on packed dirt & gravel but it was fine to ride on.

It was warm today, mostly about 30C and I suffered a little. God knows what Poland will be like, being even further from the sea. This heat makes ski jumping impossible so the stadiums look a little unloved at the moment. There are not many hills here so they build these huge gantry structures on the nearest mound of earth, climb to the top and launch. Looks bloody high when you are standing at the bottom.

Off to Estonia tomorrow morning and I guess it will be a bit rougher there but I will be glad of a change of scenery. Finland is a bit bland for me. Maybe I am being harsh on it and it is suffering in comparison to its western neighbour. Dull and dependable is a fair description. It is a safe, clean and honest place....but it doesn't have much of a wow factor. Maybe winter is better...


Beer O'Clock...dinner tonight is traditional elephants' foot kebab with a scandinavian twist....no pita and on a plate. The culinary highlight of my trip so far....it tasted fab! I have been living off freeze dried crap and snacks for too long.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm, yum, yum. Kebab AND chips AND beer. Three out of your five a day in a single sitting!

    ReplyDelete