Saturday 31 July 2010

Day 27 - Going home, sort of...


It is 3pm and after a long wait, a new tire has been located and I am off to get it fitted. Just in time too. I am 1900km from home and cannot really afford to hang around till Monday. The journey (at least the aimless wandering part of it) is done and now it is time to make tracks. Now I have an excuse to come back :-) Adam (pictured) is a good bloke to meet when the chips are down. He and his dad picked me up last night, got me sorted in a hotel, found a tire, even organised some mates of their to come out and take a look to see if they could get me fixed at the roadside or if they could get me a second hand tire through the grapevine. In short, all round excellent blokes. Small wonder they all ride bikes too.


I booked a Eurotunnel crossing on Wednesday night in hope.....and then we went to put the new rubber on. Everything went went well until at long last, it was time to roll the bike out and would you believe it, it started spitting rain. I couldn't flipping believe it! I decided to go west, shortest route home but after about 30 minutes, the clouds in front of me convinced me to go south. I couldn't stand another soaking. Everything stinks the way it does when it has not dried properly for days. I need a new helmet cos this one is fetid inside. It doesnt owe me any money as I bought it to do the south american trip a few years back and a lot of sweat has seeped into it since then. I threw away the remnants of the waterproof leggings I bought in Trondheim. They were totally shagged. I feel a shopping trip coming on....


I decided on Krakow about 300km south and from there I will bumble along home in 4 days. Not much to note about the journey. I skirted Warsaw which is a little 'american' in that it has lots of strip development extending for miles out into the countryside. I was driving through urban sprawl for ages. I guess this a result of having been completely rebuild from scratch after the war. Dusk was pretty with a mist forming strange cloud shapes. I stopped about 30k short of Krakow in a small town in an exceptional little hotel.A a real find and all for 110 Zlotys a night, about 25 quid. Mad wedding band in the background as I write.

2 comments:

  1. Great to catch up this morning on skype. Hope the tyres are not slicks, knowing your luck with the fuz, foreign and domestic! Great trip blog. Speak soon. Daniel

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you found a nice friendly Adam to sort you out :-)

    ReplyDelete