Wednesday 28 July 2010

Day 24 - Curonian Spit


After a diet busting breakfast at the hotel (breakfast is usually included here) I headed for the Curonian Spit. This is a sandbar about 100km long and maximum 4k wide and bridges the corner of the Baltic between Lithuania and Kaliningrad which is Russian territory....German East Prussia as was until WWI. The border is about half way down. The spit itself is home to the largest sand dunes in europe, the biggest is 50m high. So there. Actually, the kids playing in these water zorbs was more fun to see. A long way down and back to see pines and sand as I don't have a visa for Russia I had to go back via Klapedia.

By the time I got back to where I started from this morning, it was 4pm. I decided to visit an ex Soviet Nuclear missile bunker . Only 50km away according to the map and there was a tour starting at 5pm according to the book of knowledge. It was 630pm before I found it....no roadsigns...no roads....and finally no exhibition. Sign at the gate said closed till 2011. Bugger. All this way for that. I ducked the fence and got as close as I could before the man turned up. Not much of a picture but there are a bunch of these large concrete caps on rails that cover the missile silos. Underground, is a large complex of tunnels and bunkers which allegedly you can tour. Next time.

I decided to make a run for it, and try get to Vilnius about 250km away. Like clockwork, the clouds boiled overhead, thunder, lightning, the full monty. My waterproof leggings are totally shot now, no arse left in them at all.

2 comments:

  1. 'Top marks to the people at 'Ride' in Trondheim'

    ReplyDelete
  2. Coincedently, we went past the Dune de Pyla today. Didn't go up it on account of junior not being up to the hike and us not wanting to carry him. ;-)

    ReplyDelete