Thursday 8 July 2010

Day 4 - Soggy Start

Last night, the campsite manager said there would be no rain, and 5 minutes later it started pissing. I had pitched the tent by the shore and that meant sea creatures all around. Ever notice that seagulls shut up when the rain is heavy and start up their racket when it lightens off? They had done this a couple of times this morning and each time the racket started up I looked out only to find another wave of rain on the way. At least it was warm rain...

Norway has some of the best biking roads I have ever seen. The main highway along the coast between Oslo and Kristiansand is in the main a queue of traffic all pootling along even slower than the ridiculously low Norwegian speed limits. I hung a right and just headed North and found myself in biking heaven. No traffic and 150 miles of bends with a lovely grippy service. And I even stuck to the stupid 80k limit....I am too scared to go faster, just in case some plod jumps out of a bush with his radar gun. The only place I noticed that people speed is the the tunnels and there are a lot of them and some are miles long.

I went to a campsite this evening and asked for a pitch. The (very) attractive blonde behind the counter said "Sure, that'll be 340 Krone". After I picked myself up off the floor (42 euro or £35 in real money) I went to find another campsite. Checking to another exorbitantly priced establishment ( but slightly less so) I bumped into a German couple on bikes and would you know it, they were members of the same motorcycle club as the guy (Wolfgang) who threw his bike into the same river as me last year in Morocco. Small world.

Route 265 miles/9:13 hrs


View Untitled in a larger map

No comments:

Post a Comment