Sunday 11 July 2010

Day 7 - Preikestolen

Last night, I popped down to the beach for a little walk before hitting the hay. It was a still light at 1030 and the peace and tranquility of the place was stunning. This picture just about captures the mood. Probably the nicest location for a campsite I have seen.
Next morning, I decided to take the ferry down the fjord to the end and go see another famous Norwegian clifftop. Whilst waiting I bumped into two Germans and two Danes and we agreed to get off halfway down the fjord and try our luck with a road that was marked on one of their maps. During the passage, the ferry captain made an announcement that one of the bikes on board has fallen over and was leaking petrol. Cue every bald guy on the ferry to run for the car deck. Not mine, this time!
If you can see it, the Kjerrag (the boulder I trekked 4 hours yesterday to stand on) is a tiny dot in that dip in the the cliffs at the top. If you can't, tough.. Trust me, it is there.
Yet another (short) fabulous day riding. This time I can show you some pictures with bikes in them as I had company. We headed off to a youth hostel (yes they now let the elderly in) and to my delight I sleep in a bed with crisp ironed sheets in a dorm. I am sharing the room with two French guys who are Inter-railing around Norway. They report that there is bugger all good to eat up here and cant wait to get their hands on some 'proper food'.
Another 4 hour round trip hike to the Preikestolen, this time made a good bit easier by the absence of a motorcycle jacket and an easier route. Only a 300m climb but some rough terrain. The Norwegians are a tough lot. There was everyone from age 5 to 75 making the trek.
The Preikestolen is a 604m sheer drop to the water below and is quite a buzz. It was windy at the time so that made me a bit nervous of being near the edge so 1m was as close I would stand. But you have to take a look over, even if you do it on your belly. I just realised this evening that I have farted about for the last couple of days so time now to put some miles in and head north. Route : Bugger all
View BT Day 7 in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. like the first pic with the reflections in, lovely :-) envy envy

    ReplyDelete