Wednesday 21 July 2010

Day 17 - Russian Border


I was determined to find some biking roads today. Something with a hill and a few bends at least. How can a country with so many world class drivers come from a place that is so flat and dull (to drive at least)? I looked at the map and saw that along the border with Russia, there were more wiggles on the map. Problem solved, I thought. And sure enough there were bends and hills... but not much tarmac.


Then the road ended with this sign. Within a couple of minutes as I was taking a picture, the border guards arrived and started quizzing me. It wasn't a problem being there but I was not allowed to go any further. This is the edge of the 3km wide strip between the two countries, the actual border was just over the hill.



Like yesterday afternoon, the clouds started piling in from the west and soon it was as the french say 'raining like a cow pissing' so I took shelter with most of the Finnish motorcycling fraternity in the first available petrol station. And some of the even talked to me. I am putting the others grunts and avoidance of contact down to the GB sticker on the bike or the fact that not that english is not as widely spoken here as in the other scandinavian countries.


All day, I had been heading in the general direction of Savonlinna in the lake district and it's famous castle in the lake. I have to admit being a bit underwhelmed by it For sure it is pretty and in a great location but I was expecting something a little grander. They have an annual Opera Festival which runs between mid July and mid August and tix cost between E35 and E180....if you are interested. Apparently the acoustics and setting is excellent...but you have to book a long time in advance.

2 comments:

  1. That border: Not allowed full stop or not allowed 'cos of paper?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Paper mostly. I think there was fairly regular traffic judging by how well the gravel was worn.

    ReplyDelete