Monday 5 July 2010

Day 2 - More Motorway

Today was another motorway slog. I left Hamburg and tried to dodge the big thunderheads by speeding up and slowing down. It worked most of the day and I stayed pretty dry. Denmark is not a country I want to visit again on a bike....less said the better. Flat, flat, flat......and absolutely covered in wind turbines. I read somewhere that Denmark practically invented the things and the evidence is everywhere. I came across this huge field covered in new turbine blades. Hundreds of them lined up like swords in some giants armoury.

To get to Sweden, you can either fly, take a ferry or drive across an enormous bridge between Copenhagen and Malmo. I clocked it at about 18 km long. Actually the first part 6km is a tunnel and then you pop up out in the sea on a man made island and then continue on a 12km bridge. It is weird to be riding along with nothing but sea around you...and the speed limit is still 70mph. I cheated here, the bridge in the picture is the one from Jutland to Seeland and is only 16km long.

I cant wait to get to get away from 'civilisation'. I tried leaving the motorways a couple of times to get a look at a bit of the countryside but kept getting caught up in traffic. I remember reading the 'Long Way Round' and noticing that they hardly wrote anything about their ride back from Alaska to New York. Could it be that they rode mostly on motorways?

Route
387 miles/9:27 hrs


View BT Day 2 in a larger map

2 comments:

  1. Paul, am seriously worried about the price of alcohol in northern climes - how on earth will you manage?
    Cressy etc

    ReplyDelete
  2. so am I......I just paid £6 for a half litre of beer.....I made it last though.

    ReplyDelete